Top Yoga Poses for Diabetes to Control Blood Sugar Level Naturally
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, no worries, yoga can do more than just relax your mind! Regular yoga practice can reduce the risk of complications arising out of diabetes and improve the overall quality of life to provide significant transformations. The practice of yoga is a lifestyle habit to be adapted to combat diabetes.
“In a study by Niyantrita Madhumeha Bharat Abhiyan (NMB) based on Yoga Lifestyle Protocol for Diabetes Control, 75.96% of the total participants experienced a significant halt in progression to diabetes from prediabetic situation. It was a 3-month study conducted on people below 40 years of age and a major risk reduction was derived merely out of yoga-based intervention.”
Along with diabetes control , yoga practice also improves other health parameters required for your physical and mental health. It enhances your overall well-being, lowers blood pressure, improves mobility, and reduces stress and fatigue in the body. Consistent practice of yoga helps keep your blood sugar levels in control.
However, yoga is an additional treatment to control diabetes at home naturally. Other than yoga, a person with diabetes should also need to make other lifestyle changes including their diet for diabetes , regular medical treatment, and more.
Below, we have enlisted some of the best yoga poses for diabetes to keep a check on your blood sugar level!
Top Yoga Poses to Control Diabetes Naturally
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
The yoga pose helps in regulating the pancreases and strengthening them, which in turn controls insulin sensitivity to control blood sugar level. It also helps in making the abdomen muscles stronger, enhancing digestion, and preventing cramps.
How to perform Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)?
- With your legs apart, lie down on your stomach.
- Place your arms on the sides and fold the knees to hold the ankle.
- Bring your chest up from the ground and inhale as you do so. Simultaneously, pull your legs to stretch your arms and thighs.
- Keep your face straight and hold your body in the pose for around 15 seconds.
- Exhale and move your chest to the ground and let go of your ankle.
Bhujangasana (Upward facing dog pose)
With this yoga asana for diabetes , the muscles in your spine, quadriceps, and triceps brachii work together. The pose enhances the strength of your muscles and contributes to the reduction of blood sugar levels in the body.
How to perform Bhujangasana (Upward facing dog pose)?
- Stretch your legs and lie down on your stomach.
- Place your arms at a perpendicular angle from the floor and adjacent to the ribcage.
- By applying pressure on your arms, try to lift your body from the ground and look straight.
- Breathe in the position for about 15 seconds and then relax.
Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
Tadasana is a simple yoga pose for people with diabetes . It helps in reducing blood sugar levels and improves the concentration of one’s mind. The pose assists in enhancing the flexibility of your body and strengthens the muscles in your knees. It creates more space in your body to allow your organs to work more efficiently. Tadasana promotes insulin sensitivity and improves the circulation of blood to reduce blood sugar levels.
How to perform Tadasana (Mountain Pose)?
- Place your arms on the side, and stand straight on a flat surface.
- Face your palms in the upward direction and inhale slowly.
- While inhaling, move your arms up and down.
- Continue to hold the position for 15 seconds.
- Repeat the asana 10 times and exhale while bringing your arms down.
Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
Chakrasana is an effective yoga pose for diabetes control. The pose allows your spine to stretch and relax. It strengthens the pancreases and stimulates the secretion of insulin in the body to control blood sugar levels. It also improves the health of the liver and kidneys, which are at risk due to diabetes.
How to perform Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)?
- Lie down on your back and keep your legs close to your hips.
- Keep your palms under your shoulders in a way that the fingers point towards your shoulders.
- Place your palm on the ground and lift your shoulders, hips, and elbows.
- Stretch your legs and arms to make your hips and shoulders move upward.
- Hold this position for 15 seconds and bend your shoulders and elbows to bring your head down.
- Also, bend your knees to lower your spine and hips.
Balasana (Child pose)
Balasana is an excellent yoga pose to control diabetes naturally. It helps in stress relief and alleviates pain from the back, neck, and rotator muscles. It also encourages relaxation in hamstrings and spinal extensors to enhance the production of insulin-producing beta cells.
How to perform Balasana (Child pose)?
- Bring your body in a kneeling position with knees wide apart as your hips.
- Push your body backward to touch your heels with your hips.
- Lean your head forward to touch the ground and straighten your arms forward.
- This will put pressure on your back.
- Hold the position for 5 minutes and relax to seat yourself in the normal position.
Viparita Karani (Legs up the wall)
This yoga pose for diabetes control stimulates various internal organs, including the pancreas. It is a significant yoga pose to control diabetes . Practicing this pose regularly also helps in regulating blood pressure and reducing blood sugar levels. It also helps in making your body feel relaxed by enhancing energy levels and blood circulation.
How to perform Viparita Karani (Legs up the wall)?
- Keep a towel under your head for support as you lie down on the side of the wall.
- Place your legs at a right angle from the wall and relax your neck, head, throat, and chin.
- Straighten your arms and place them beside your body.
- Continue to stay in this position for 10 minutes, and then move your legs slowly towards the ground.
Yoga is a lifestyle habit to be incorporated in the long run to get results. However, it is important that all the yoga poses are learned and practiced under a professional to avoid accidents and injuries. Alongside, getting a proper consultation for your diabetic condition is also essential. Diahome offers the services of qualified and experienced diabetes educators and health coaches to ensure appropriate care for your condition, right in the comfort of your home!
Download the Diahome application on your smartphone TODAY to get professional, precise, and individualized diabetic care at an economical cost.
Mrs.Sripriya Ravi, M.Sc, Senior Dietitian
Miss. Priyadharshini M.Sc, Dietitian